Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I got schooled

I have officially been educated on my new diet and my new blood glucose monitor. Let me just say that neither are as bad as I had envisioned. We did a "practice stick" to test our blood sugars during the class and I barely even felt it. Praise God! I was so worried that I was going to have to go have my mama stick me 4 times a day.

The diet is basically just eating healthy while keeping an eye on carbohydrate choices"...which translates to breads, starchy foods, fruit and milk. I can have a certain number of carb choices per meal and per snack. And I eat ALL the time. Here's a breakdown of my eating schedule:

Prick finger before breakfast
8:30 a.m. Breakfast - 3 carb choices, 1 protein, 2 fats
10:30 a.m. Prick finger
11:00 a.m. Lunch - 3 carb choices, 3 protein, 2 fats
1:00 p.m. Prick finger
2:00 p.m. Snack - 1 carb choice, 1 protein
5:00 p.m. Snack - 1 carb choice, 1 fat/protein
8:00 p.m. Dinner - 4 carb choices, 3 protein, 2 fats
10 p.m. Prick finger
Before bed - 2 carb choices

I can have veggies whenever I want, provided they aren't cooked with extra sugar or fat. This schedule will most likely be just for the weekdays when I have to eat lunch before work. Otherwise, I'd move one of the afternoon snacks to a mid-morning snack. The goal is to eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what.

She also said that occassionally having a sweet item is okay, so I feel much better knowing that I can have a cake square at my baby shower or a small piece of pie at Thanksgiving!

I'm thanking God for giving me everything that I need to educate myself and make the right food choices. I feel much better now that I know what I'm dealing with. I go back to meet one-on-one with the dietician on Monday so she can look over my food log and my blood sugar counts.

In other news, we're celebrating James' birthday today! We're actually heading out to dinner with his family in a few minutes.

Oh, and we carved pumpkins for the first time (as in the first time either of us had EVER done it...we were deprived children). I'll post pics soon. Of course his turned out better than me because he's got patience and a steady hand.

No comments: