Tuesday, March 26, 2013

G is for Girlfriends

Yeah, yeah it's been a while.  What's that?  Over a year is more than a while?  Okay, you're right.  No excuse really.  I've always felt that you make time for what is important to you and I guess blogging just wasn't important until 2am at the beginning of a busy week when I can't sleep because I took a nap earlier.

So I still like the idea of going through the alphabet and we've been on G now for a year...away we go...

Some people just naturally attract friends.  That wasn't the case with me.  In middle and high school I felt like making friends was difficult.  I had some, but they changed a lot and only one was consistent from then until now (shout out to my BFF Melissa!!) - it just wasn't easy for me.  In college and early adult life, there was more of the same.  I thought that I had a "group" of friends, but when I found Jesus and gave up my previous lifestyle, the group disappeared. 

Luckily for me, I found new friends, real ones, through the fellowship in Christ that is one of the coolest parts of being a Christ follower.  That wasn't an easy process.  I remember shaking as I walked into my first Sunday in the College and Career Sunday school class, but I'm so glad that I did.  I formed some great bonds at that particular church and still call many, many friends years later.

It wasn't until after I had Kendall that I realized how imperative having a group of girlfriends actually is.  I truly don't know how I would survive without having someone to call when I'm worried about a childhood ailment or when I have a funny story to share or when I need a break (aka playdate).  The women in my closest group of friends have been through so much with me - new life, death, sweet times of worship, difficult life situations - some really great stuff and some really yucky stuff.  I love them and know that they love me.  We were created for these relationships, I think.

While I'm sharing, I would be silly not to mention that maintaining friendships isn't always easy.  Life is nuts.  Kids, spouses, jobs, ministry, running a household - it's crazy.  But making the time to laugh and cry and share with other women that are doing this life thing with you is so vital.  And I'm beyond grateful that I've been blessed with the cream of the crop.

No comments: