Wednesday, June 12, 2013

H is for Hilton Head

Growing up, I was blessed to have family (first my grandparents and then later my parents) own beach homes in Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle.  Every week and a week in the summer we were invariably jumping waves, soaking up the sun on the deck and eating at Dairy Queen and Big Oak Drive In.  We never really visited any other beaches because there was no reason to.

When James and I started dating, he introduced me to Hilton Head Island and since then, we've tried to come here yearly for vacation.  We have come in winter and in summer and it's a truly awesome place to visit regardless of when you come. 

We are here now for a Friday-Friday week in James' parent's timeshare.  We have had plenty of time on the beach (which is so different than the beach in NC...very flat, little to no sea shells, small waves).  We've eaten ice cream and window shopped and eaten yummy seafood at our favorite place (Steamers at Coligny).  It has been a really special week.

I'm not sure what it is that makes Hilton Head so great - a combination of things really.  Low country hospitality, palmetto trees, alligators swimming in beautiful lagoons, no bright glaring lights or tacky beach shops selling inappropriate T-Shirts and shot glasses...just a nice, quiet family beach with plenty to explore.

I am beyond grateful to make memories at such a cool place.

No comments: