Or more specifically, the 100 foods you must try before you die...according to some blogger somewhere that started this list and I noticed it and decided to check it out because, well, I heart food. I'll let you know which I've tried. And various other comments.
1. Venison – Yes. I am from a moderately redneck family in the South. Nuff said.
2. Nettle tea - Apparently this has amazing health benefits, but I've never even heard of it.
3. Huevos rancheros – Yes - at our fave breakfast place in Wilmington this summer...yum to the 84th power.
4. Steak tartare - Not sure. I'm not averse to trying it if I haven't.
5. Crocodile - Nope. Gator, but not croc.
6. Black pudding - This disgusts me and that's hard to do. Have never and will never.
7. Cheese fondue - Melting Pot what what!
8. Carp - Not sure.
9. Borscht - No, but after googling I definitely want to.
10. Baba ghanoush – See above.
11. Calamari – One of my faves. But only the body part cut into the little circles and deep fried. The tentacle part wigs me out.
12. Pho - No. But James' ex girlfriend is Vietnamese. And certifiable.
13. PB&J sandwich – Oh man yes.
14. Aloo gobi – Nah.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - Yes. Outside of Lowes. That's how I roll.
16. Epoisses - Not that I know of, but I've had a lot of cheese, so it's possible.
17. Black truffle - Yes at the fancy restaurant James proposed at.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes – Not that I know of.
19. Steamed pork buns - Oh yes. Dim sum anyone?
20. Pistachio ice cream – Not a fan. Although pistachios are my fave nut.
21. Heirloom tomatoes – Definitely.
22. Fresh wild berries – I'm scared to pick things off bushes and eat them.
23. Foie gras - Absolutely disgusting.
24. Rice and beans – Zatarans in the house!
25. Brawn, or head cheese - After googling, I discovered this is akin to souse meat, which I have been unfortunate enough to taste. Pickled pig parts, no thanks.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - I like my taste buds, thanks.
27. Dulce de leche - I'm sure.
28. Oysters – Many a oyster topped, horseradish laden cracker.
29. Baklava – One of my faves.
30. Bagna cauda - No and I'm not a fan of anchovies, so I'd pass.
31. Wasabi peas – Yep. Instant nose pain.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl – Clam chowder, yes. Sourdough bowl, yes.
33. Salted lassi - Never heard of it. But I instantly started hearing the Lassi song in my head.
34. Sauerkraut – Yep. From a can. Rock on.
35. Root beer float – I'm not sure. I don't like floats or root beer, but I'd give it a whirl as long as someone else pays.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar – I don't really like to eat my tobacco products.
37. Clotted cream tea - Nope.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot – I went to ECU.
39. Gumbo - Oh yes.
40. Oxtail - Oddly enough, no.
41. Curried goat - No. And I don't really like curry.
42. Whole insects - Will. Never. Happen. Unless we are in a zombie apocalypse. Cause you know roaches will survive.
43. Phaal - See number 41.
44. Goat’s milk - I've had goat cheese.
45. Single malt whisky – Not sure. Probably not if it's expensive.
46. Fugu - Is that the fish you can die from? No thanks.
47. Chicken tikka masala – Not that I know of.
48. Eel – Love.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - By the dozen.
50. Sea urchin - I think so.
51. Prickly pear - I think so.
52. Umeboshi - Nope.
53. Abalone - No, but I like other mollusks, so I'd try it.
54. Paneer – No.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal – Actually, I doubt it. I don't like Big Mac's. Special sauce doesn't do it for me.
56. Spaetzle – Not sure.
57. Dirty gin martini – Gin smells like trees.
58. Beer above 8% ABV – Just learned what ABV means.
59. Poutine - Sounds interesting.
60. Carob chips - Nope.
61. S’mores – Oh yes! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Kendall called them Snores last summer.
62. Sweetbreads - Gross.
63. Kaolin - Um google says this is clay. Weird.
64. Currywurst - Is this curry sausage? Ew.
65. Durian - No.
66. Frogs’ legs - I'd like to try.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake – Boy have I.
68. Haggis - I just think it's a good rule to leave organ meats alone.
69. Fried plantain – Yum.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - I have. As a kid when I didn't know any better.
71. Gazpacho - Yes. Although I feel like soup should be hot.
72. Caviar and blini - Not a fan.
73. Louche absinthe - Nope.
74. Gjetost, or brunost - Hmm. Brown cheese. Not sure about that.
75. Roadkill - Okay seriously?
76. Baijiu - No.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie – I'm sure I have.
78. Snail – Yes, but I need to try again.
79. Lapsang souchong - No.
80. Bellini – Peach.
81. Tom yum - No.
82. Eggs Benedict – Yes. But hollaindaise is a bit much for me.
83. Pocky - Many a stick.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - No because I'm a USA kinda girl. But I would.
85. Kobe beef - Yes.
86. Hare - No.
87. Goulash – Yes.
88. Flowers – Probably as a garnish.
89. Horse - That's gross. And probably illegal. At least in Kentucky.
90. Criollo - That's coming up as a person of Spanish descent. I'm thinking not.
91. Spam - Once. Fried. At Melissa's.
92. Soft shell crab - Yes, but I prefer crab legs or regular ole' crab. Soft shell crab is always greasy
93. Rose harissa - Nope.
94. Catfish – Oh yes.
95. Mole poblano – I don't think so.
96. Bagel and lox – Yes. Which I used to really like. Not anymore for some reason.
97. Lobster Thermidor - Nope.
98. Polenta – Any chance I get.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee - Yes. Since James randomly sold coffee for like 12 minutes before we got married.
100. Snake - Yep.
So at the end of the day, I think this list is really odd. And I've had 49ish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OK, so I came to your blog since you said that you would start again...I had high hopes you meant right away. But actually I somehow never read this food post. I need to google a few too. But a couple were Chinese things so I thought I could help.
Durian--It apparently smells (and therefore slighty tastes like) poo. It's big here in Asia, I think Malaysia has a Durian festival.
BaiJiu--translates to white liquor. I've never tasted it but it smells (and can be smelled from far distances) like Everclear. Have you had that? It's pretty much the same thing...I very high proof clear liquor.
There were a few Thai things on there too. I never much liked curry before either, but after trying several Thai dishes I like it more.
Post a Comment