Thursday, December 8, 2011

E is for Elvesmere

A couple of years ago, Cross Culture Church had the fabulous idea of rewarding their children's volunteers (mostly female) with a pedicure for Christmas.  Boy oh boy do I love a pedicure.  Can't believe that I didn't get them regularly for so many years...evidenced by my jacked up toe nail cutting and that one ingrown toenail that hurt for months.  But I digress.

At this fabulous Christmas reward party, we (myself and some of my best girlfriends that happened to be there) started talking about Christmas traditions and Lisa brought up Elf on a Shelf.  I had no idea what she was talking about, but wanted to start building some of my own Mason family Christmas traditions, so after our pedicure, we loaded into Coral's van and headed to Barnes and Noble and we all bought Elves on Shelves for our families.

For those that don't know what this is: you can check it out here

Anyhoo - I had a name in mind, thanks to my BFF Melissa.  Well, actually Melissa's uncle.  Elsmere.  Yes, that's his real name.  She also has an aunt Snookie, but that's another story.  So Elvesmere was "born" into our family that very night.  The first year Kendall wasn't all that impressed - she was a teeny little thing and so I didn't really expect her to be amazed by any means.  Last year she was more into it.  This year she is CRAZY for Elvesmere.  I don't think I've ever seen her as excited as she was on Thanksgiving evening when she spotted him in our bedroom window (after we lost him for the second year in a row...note to self - ensure that Elvesmere understands that mom and dad need to be able to find him on TGiving 2012.)

For the first two years, Elvesmere kinda just appeared in random places - in our tree, on the ceiling fan, in Kendall's book shelf.  This year, he's been getting into mischief.  So far he has colored Kendall and Raegan's bathroom toilet water purple, rode Raegan's stuffed giraffe, danced with Princess Tiana in Kendall's room and eaten some M&Ms.

Just like anything else, I think Elvesmere is trying to keep up with the Jones'...or in this case Elfin.  Our friends the Scoggins family has a very naughty elf - he does all kinds of cool things...fishing with a candy cane in the family fish bowl, taking a hot air balloon ride to the top of the Christmas tree, etc. 

Hopefully our elf will be creative while we are in Disney world.  I see Mickey Mouse ears in his future.

No comments: