Tuesday, March 24, 2009

She looks like her daddy...

...but she acts like her mama. Seriously, our sweet, precious, fun-loving daughter has an attitude problem. And it doesn't make it easier that she's cute while she's showing that attitude.
I thought I "prepared" by reading up on discipline, talking to lots of moms about what works/doesn't work...I even took a class at church on the subject. But, see - I still thought I had a good year left before she started acting ugly. Nope. Apparently she's an early bloomer.

Now, run of the mill periods of being ill or tired and whiney I can get down with. Those are understandable. But that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about kicking, arching her back, scratching mama's face, hitting, pulling her lip (something you have to see to believe). Most people don't believe me when I tell them. My girl is a charmer, so she's got people hosed. Still others laugh when I tell them, which is understandable because I've been known to have a witty line or two in my day.

But, deep down inside, this TERRIFIES me. I never thought I would so clearly see the sin nature in my child at such an early age. It pains me to think of the battle that she, like all of us, face with our flesh every single day. I may not throw temper tantrums anymore (not often, at least), but I'm struggling with my flesh just the same. I pray that the Lord will give us wisdom to raise Kendall to fear Him and to accept His gift of grace. You can pray with me, if you'd like. For all of our children...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GIRLFRIEND!!! We are going through the exact same thing with Sarah Beth. She's got people fooled and everyone thinks she's adorable..which she is...but my stars! When she gets the 'tude'...it's fullon mean!
Jen :)

Nicole said...

You keep trusting Jesus, and although you'll make mistakes (like the rest of us) you will have pointed our sweet girl to the cross. And I bet that to me, even in the heat of her tantrum, she's still absolutely precious (the joys of aunthood)