So I was thinking...God works through lots of different things. And one way that He speaks to me sometimes is through the different blogs that I read. Recently, a friend of mine has been blogging about a commitment that she made with regards to food addiction. She is doing quite well and as I've read her blog, I've started to come to terms with the fact that my issue with weight is, in fact, a sin issue. I've never really looked at it like that before. I just figured I love food - no harm in that, right? Wrong! See - I'm having a sort of revelation here, so bear with me. I think that what I've done over the past several years is replace one addiction with another.
For those that know me well, you already know that I consider myself to have a huge problem with alcohol...although the Lord enabled me to sober up years ago, I don't think that I will ever feel comfortable around the stuff because it has been one of my life's biggest struggles. (Praise be to Him for releasing me from that addiction!!) Clean and sober I may be, but I think that I have allowed myself to take the addiction that I had to alcohol and replace it with food. The old Jennifer celebrated with alcohol, grieved with alcohol, got mad with alcohol. The new Jennifer celebrates with food, grieves with food, gets mad with food. Do you see a pattern here?
The cool thing is that the same God that poured His grace over me in the area of my alcohol addiction can do the same in the area of food addiction. I've just got to reach out to Him just like I did all those years ago about alcohol. Last night I was reading a book totally unrelated to food and the topic of overindulgence was written about and the verse that was given was Proverbs 25:16, which reads "If you find honey, eat just enough - too much of it and you will vomit"...kinda gross, I know, but how true. How many times have I felt just pure SICK after eating and eating and eating?
I say all this to say that I'm formally recognizing that I have issues with food and I'm not sure where God is going to take me now that He's convicted me of the problem, but I absolutely trust in Him because He has so radically changed my life already and this food thing is small potatoes for him (I'm so witty).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So I'm assuming that you're not the girl I should call when I need a friend to share a half gallon of ice cream?
No really, I'm proud of you and want ot be just like you when I grow up.
Post a Comment