Wednesday, April 13, 2011

No mo' sugar

I have gestational diabetes again.  I took my 3 hour glucose test again on Monday and got the results today.  So Tuesday I'm off to meet with the dietician and get my blood glucose monitor and my days of ice cream and fresh pineapple are over for the forseeable future.

This did not come as a shock and I'm actually grateful that I was able to have a fun few months of eating what I want.  The diagnosis could have been a lot sooner since I had diabetes last time and was checked earlier this go round.

My doctor's visit Monday went well.  I met with my favorite doctor and was able to get her take on the small head situation.  She's not one to feed me fluff or to make jokes to try to make me feel better (unlike the doctor that broke the percentile news to me last time...she totally irritated me by trying to be funny in a not funny situation.  Which I totally do all the time. Note to self - QUIT DOING THAT).  She read the report and told me that it's possible Raegan's head is small, but that we'll need this next ultrasound to tell us if she's had siginificant head growth in these last weeks.  That ultrasound will be sometime at the end of this month.  So I take that to mean that we're not "in the clear".  And she said honestly, that we won't be in the clear even if she's not diagnosed in utero because her pediatrician is going to be all over it given the small percentile.  Oddly enough, this made me feel better - I needed someone to shoot it to me straight and I feel like she did.  Hence the reason why I like her.  We are praying that her little head will be in a more "normal" percentile range at the next ultrasound (aka it had a growth spurt) and we can put these fears to rest. 

No comments: