It's not really a surprise that my child has a bad temper. After all, there was a time in my life when my only emotion was anger. I had hoped that she would inherit her dad's calm emotional state, but apparently not. Kendall has been throwing some pretty horrific temper tantrums and quite frankly, I'm not sure what to do to handle them. Here's an example - Saturday it was nap time and I gave her a 5 minute warning that she'd need to be ready for a nap. She LOST IT. Screaming. Crying. Kicking. Scratching. She was hysterical for a good 20 minutes - which is a llooonnnggg time when you're watching your toddler go absolutely nuts. I stood my ground and she finally calmed down and took her nap, but it was rough. I was literally holding her and praying out loud that I would not lose it.
So my question for the mommies out there - what do I do when she is acting like that? We wholeheartedly believe in spanking as a form of discipline, but do I spank her in the middle of her hysterics? Do I just ignore her? Do I spank her after she calms down and send her into hysterics again? Help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My boys love to throw a good tantrum. For a while we tried to just let them get through it while ignoring it. But to be honest, at this point I can not take the screaming and hysterics without loosing my mind. So we have started making them tantrum it out in their room. Without an audience. It works. Most times they don't even make it all the way to their room before they realize it's just not worth it. But the really good ones that leave them in their room for a good scream fest is most definitely followed by a spanking.
Really you may just have to try several things. Each child is different. Let us know how things work out!
Hey Jennifer,
First of all - please know that Kendell is NORMAL - and your title should read "temper, two, temper, two." My advice is to do what you did - ignore the temper, the fit, let her know that you mean business and her fit is not going to change your mind - no matter where or when she throws it - don't give in. Basically because she is two she is trying to test her new-found independence. I don't think they are really trying to be angry - just not sure how to convey her feelings right now...anyway - that is my 2 cents worth! Keep on loving her and be strong!
Jen Mason...We are going through the same thing with Sarah Beth. It's so hard beause we never dealth with this with Benjamin...he was so laid back and calm. With her, we warn her twice. After the 2nd warning, we start counting to 3. Usually, she has figured out that she needs to be up and moving before 3. If she's still pitching a fit, she gets spanked. I hate doing it, but I don't want her to feel like she has that kind of control over us because I am afraid she'll feel she's got the control in the long run. I am hoping 3 will be much easier than 2...becuase 2 has been HORRIBLE with her....
Good luck! Love you!
Jenn Woodyard Stevens
Post a Comment