Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year

2010 flew by.  I really think time has started going much faster since Kendall was born.  It always flew by, but now it's like crazy super warp speed or something.

Unfortunately James had to work on New Year's Eve...until 2 a.m.  What is it about these rich folks that they feel they can't celebrate major holidays inside their 10,000 square foot, million dollar homes?  No - they'd rather be stressing my poor hubs out at the country club.  Actually, he never, never, EVER complains...he's one of the few people that I can honestly say loves his job.  And I usually don't complain about it (anymore), but dag - can a girl kiss her husband on NYE?  Anyway - Kendall and I had a most excellent time having game night with family and close friends.  We hosted my parents and grandmother (Ronnie's mom), Rena Bena (who has become a fast family friend in the last few months) and my BFF Melissa, Dean, Courtney, and Alex.  It was honestly one of the best nights of 2010, which is fitting as the year came to a close.  We played Apples to Apples (best. game. ever) and Loaded Questions (not as fun as when we played on Thanksgiving...you've gotta have people willing to say some crazy stuff to make it funny).  Then we watched the ball drop and I sat here shaking my head and the "artists" on Dick Clark's NYE show.  I guess I'm old because they just made my forehead wrinkle up more than usual...I didn't even bob my head.

Kendall and I got in the bed way late, but I was up pretty early to get things ready for my sweet girl's princess birthday party.  I was raised to have small, intimate family parties and so far that's what we've done with Kendall.  Only 10 people total.  I find that I'm able to splurge more on the party supplies when it's a smaller number and she doesn't get overwhelmed.  I decked out the kitchen in purple - Princess Tiana plates and napkins, purple forks and cups, loads of confetti, princess wands, necklaces, rings with bling, etc.  My sister in law brought tiaras for all of us girls to wear, too.  I did finger foods that turned out really cute - cream cheese/strawberry jam sandwiches cut out into cute shapes, fruit kabob "wands" with a pink yogurt dip, popcorn (Kendall's favorite), pink lemonade, etc.  Then I sat out little dishes of all sorts of candy in purple and green to match the decor.  Truly - I embraced what teeny weeny bit of creativity I have and it turned out really great.

Kendall got a bike from Mommy and Daddy and because it was 60 degrees, we were able to go ride some.  We finished up the day by taking her to see the Yogi Bear movie and to eat at the "peanut place" aka Lone Star.  It was a perfect, perfect day.

It still amazes me that I've been a parent for 3 years.  James, too...he said that very thing about 10 times on her birthday.  She is such a joy...I am so grateful that God chose me to be her mom.  She actually left for the mountains with my parents on Sunday and I know I'm supposed to enjoy "me" time when she's not here, but I don't like it.  I'd rather be with her, no doubt about it.  James and I are headed to the mountains tomorrow after work and I'll be so glad to kiss her sweet lips.

No comments: